Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Double Chocolate Chip (Oatmeal) Cookies

Chorus 1:

I sure do like those Christmas cookies sugar
I sure do like those Christmas cookies babe
The ones that look like Santa Claus,Christmas trees and bells and stars
I sure do like those Christmas cookies babe

Verse 1 :

Now Christmas cookies are a special treat
The more she bakes the more I eat
And sometimes I can't get myself to stop
Sometimes she'll wait til I'm asleep
And she'll take the ones that I didn't eat
And put those little sprinkley things on top

(Repeat Chorus 1)

Verse 2:
Now those sprinkley things just make things worse
Cause it makes em taste better than they did at first
And they're absolutely impossible to resist
Some disappear to who knows where
But I make sure I get my share
And those kids just stand there waiting for the ones I miss

Chorus 2:

I sure do like those Christmas cookies sugar
I sure do like those Christmas cookies babe
She gets mad if they're all gone
Before she gets the icing put on
I sure do like those Christmas cookies babe

Verse 3:

Now there's a benefit to all of this
That you might have overlooked or missed
So now let me tell you the best part of it all
Every time she sticks another batch in the oven
There's fifteen minutes for some kissin' and huggin'
That's why I eat Christmas cookies all year long.


This was a song (by George Straits) my hubby shared with me while I was baking his favourite Chocolate chip (oatmeal) cookies one time.Must be wondering why the 'oatmeal' is in brackets...thats' because I had sneaked them in just to make the cookies a little healthier.(wink wink) The song now comes to my head each time I bake them..lol. Its kind of a funny song.

Its my favourite season...the warm winter sun plays peek-a-boo at my window. The earthy scent that floats across makes me heady and simply alleviates my spirit. It works its magic every single day....and I want to sing and dance. ( I actually do that in my room, all by myself..lol).

My world revolves around my man...quite literally..I simply love being married to him ! (blush blush) He has been away from home for quite a few years (while studying and working initially)...so now that we are together I make sure that he gets all the comforts of a home-cooked meal and goodies. I decided to make his favourite choco-chip cookies. He simply adores them and so do I...more so because it brings him joy.


Double Chocolate Chip (Oatmeal) Cookies

Ingredients-
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup cocoa powder ( I used light cocoa powder)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter
1 cup soft brown sugar
1 large egg, slightly whisked with a fork
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup rolled oats/quick oats


Method-
Preheat oven to 350 F / 180 C. Line cookie pan with baking paper.
Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
Cream the butter, sugar and egg together.
Add the vanilla essence. Add the quick oats.
Add the chocolate chips. Mix well.
Drop the batter on the cookie pan, about half a tablespoon size each.
(leaving space in between the cookies, for expansion)
Bake the cookies for about 10-15 minutes.

Cool on wire rack. Serve warm with chilled milk.

Note: Instead of egg, any egg substitute can be used. Infact I've made them using applesauce, but the cookies would be almost cake like in texture.

This goes out to Harini (sunshinemom) of Tounge Ticklers Juke-box event. Sing-a-long! :-)

Also this goes out to Susan of Food Blogga, for her annual Eat Christmas Cookies event. This event was a smash hit the first time and is back on popular demand as Season II. You can view the yummiest cookies ever from across the globe here.

Last but not the least this cookie also goes to Sharmi (of Neivedyam).

10 comments:

  1. Lovely song to go with the cookies and the season! I like them - icing or no icing, and am sure they are disappearing even as I am writing:). As for "My world......man", don't edit this and look at it 15years later:)......:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you would ever be interested in becoming a featured publisher with Foodbuzz.com? If so please conctact me at lizstambaugh@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Harini...I think I can guess what u mean..lol...

    Liz, I will mail u soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "So now let me tell you the best part of it all
    Every time she sticks another batch in the oven
    There's fifteen minutes for some kissin' and huggin'" That line is hilarious!

    What a fun song, Navita. Thanks to you and your hubby for introducing me to it. I'm sure he loved these cookies. After all, they were baked with love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Susan, its really funny..but like it..kinda says what goes inside a man's head..lol

    Dessert,let me how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Dessert...liked ur place too,but couldn't post a comment(tried thrice),as the system wan't allowing me, an error message:(
    (wanted to let u know,in case u happen to stop by here!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Navita, I love this song too. I have heard it and was actually listening to it while I was making the cookies.. only after sometime I realized the strange connection:-) All these Chistmas songs are all I am hearing these days...I love it.

    BTW We have been married for 14 years... got married when i was 20.. but the "he" is still my prince charming.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yup Soma,its a nice song like all other Christmas carols. WOW...14 years...CONGRATULATIONS dear. U were lucky u married ur prince charming early...got to spend more time with him.
    I got married last year ...when I was 24...n hes my world! lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmm, those look and sound yummy! I have a couple of recipes for oatmeal choc chip cookies, but I'm going to try yours too because it's always fun to try new variations. :)

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    BTW, I just noticed you're in Hong Kong...cool! I was born in HK and spent the first 8 yrs of my life there. Many of my relatives are still there. I've not been back since '87 though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Teresa...sure cookies are harmless ! lol
    Great 8 years here...when r u visiting again?

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking out the time to put your thoughts into words. It is appreciated. Hope I am able to keep you involved, intrigued and happy with this blog. Your views are welcome.