Friday, October 17, 2008

Sweet beginning...Rava Laddu




I am waiting for the moon and its still not anywhere in sight.Its 8.30 pm here and I have fasted for a total of 24 hrs now. I love the Hong Kong skyline...but tonight its blocking the much awaited moon from my view.Its Karwa Chauth today and I stay in Hong Kong. My second Karwa Chauth (the festival where Indian women fast the whole day long, for the longevity of the husband's life). In my case, my darling husband is also fasting....(although I did trick him into having breakfast, the only meal he has had for the day).Have already gone to the terrace twice and once outside on the road. Finally we decided to board the tram in search of "the moon"...and we did spot it at 10.45 pm. Did my ritual on the road crossing itself. Had the 'prasad' I had made.

Rava Laddu.
Here's the recipe-

Ingredients-
1 cup semolina
1/3 tin of condensed milk
a few raisins/sultanas to garnish
1 tsp of cornstarch
1 cup of milk
1/2 tsp of powdered cardamom
2 tbsp ghee for frying

Method-
In a deep pan, put ghee (clarified butter) and add semolina.
Keep stirring till the white semolina changes to brown in colour.
Note: Be careful to keep stirring constantly over medium flame or the semolina might burn and become blackish.
Once the semolina is browned, first add half the milk and then add the condensed milk and mix well.
In a separate bowl add the restof the milk and corn starch to form a liquid paste.
Now put this bowl of milk (with corn starch) into the semolina mix in the pan.
Add the cardamom.
Quickly mix everything together. The mix will be somewhat sticky.
Remove from heat. Cool. Then form small ping-pong sized ball, by rolling with hands.
Garnish with raisins. Serve.

N.B. These can be stored for a week in a tight jar.

Thats it for tonight's little episode.'-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking out the time to put your thoughts into words. It is appreciated. Hope I am able to keep you involved, intrigued and happy with this blog. Your views are welcome.