Sunday, October 19, 2008

Cheesy Udon with spicy sausages




Just returned from the library. Had finished reading "Map of Bones" by James Rollins and had to return the book. Awesome book. Although I read all sorts of books, I prefer thrillers and lately the genre has been biblical and historical, say the Dan Brown style. This book takes it to an all new level. The book kept me on the edge throughout. So, that leaves me with so little time to cook and lots of stomach rumbling. Hence the easiest options are always noodles. Since I am currently in Hong Kong, wanted to try out their famous udon here. Had purchased the udon but since my hubby doesn't really like the look of the thick noodle (almost worm like...as he puts it), had not cooked it yet. Udon is a kind of Rice noodle, generally on the thicker side. I added cocktail sausages and a little mozarella cheese in the end to give it an Italian-American twist and ofcourse to make it edible for my darling. And my husband surprised me by finishing the entire plate. Was it the dish or the hunger....? Thats' a mystery! '-)

Cheesy Udon with Spicy sausages
Ingredients-
2 packets udon
4 small cocktail sausages sliced (if going for the larger size, make it 2)
a dash of soy sauce
a dash of sesame oil
2 tbsp garlic infused oil (plain oil will also do..garlic just adds another flavour)
a little lemon zest ( about a pinch)
2 tsp Tabasco chilli sauce (depending on how hot you want it)
2 tbsp Tomato sauce/ketchup
1 tsp chopped chives (optional)
salt (to taste)
grated mozarella (as cheesy as you desire) :-)

Note: I have added no vegetables here, as hubby didn't want any today and I had neither the time nor the inclination. But you can add-capsicum and carrots.All julienned. Add them just after the sausages.

Method-
First boil the udon in a separate pan with enough water to immerse the noodles.
Strain and set aside.
Now, in a wok/kadai heat the garlic infused oil. Add the chives and lemon zest. Now add the sausages and the dash of sesame oil. Stir.
Add the noodles/udon and stir fry. Now add the soy sauce, ketchup and chilli sauce. Mix well so as to coat evenly all the noodles with the sauce. Add little salt. Sprinkle with the cheese while still hot and serve.

I served it with red wine, which was a birthday gift from friends here in HK. Guess the wine could be the reason my hubby ate all his udon. (I know I am quite filled with humility)..lol.

N.B. Remember that the sausages and the cheese will have some salt so be miserly with the salt.
The lemon zest adds a zing to the dish and sesame oil takes the flavour another notch up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank You for taking out the time to put your thoughts into words. It is appreciated. Hope I am able to keep you involved, intrigued and happy with this blog. Your views are welcome.