Friday, August 28, 2009

Amaretto Tiramisu Cake --- The Ultimate Celebration Cake !!

“ In love the paradox occurs that two beings become one and yet remain two.”-Erich Fromm






When you meet the person you want to spend the rest of your life with…you want the rest of your life to begin soon. Well this is what exactly happened when we met.

Its been two years since our wedding and am still amazed at how fast time flies.
I am madly in love, (more than ever) with the man I married two years back!!





I am the sort who loves both giving and receiving surprises….however small they may be. So had been preparing for the day excitedly…almost feverishly, for the entire month.
(That explains the silence at Zaayeka!)

And since we are out and out foodies….I had to quite literally whip up a storm, first in my head and subsequently in my kitchen.





Why in my head? Well, as you know by now, I love experimenting in my kitchen, pushing my limits and trying things I have never tried before. Barring a few delicacies, I try not to repeat a dish. (I have this personal desire to be able to make to as close to perfection, if not replicate, all the dishes of the world. Yeah I know quite a thought, but trust me I sometimes feel a life time is too short to try all the dishes existing on planet Earth.)

I love my man and as most of you will identify with; we blog-bakers want to show all our love with what we bake/cook in the kitchen. It was ‘our’ anniversary so had to bake a cake nothing short of gorgeous, both in taste and appearance.
Have baked quite a few cakes before (a few still unposted, rest in the archives) mostly using fruits as I love fruits in my cake. Hub however doesn’t care much about fruits in his desserts.





Black Forest Gateau was done last year, Red Velvet cake was for friendship day, Peach torte was for no good reason, Pineapple cheese-cake was just-like-that, Mango pastry went with a courtesy visit to a relative, Citrus cake for an in-law’s birthday……honestly my choices were getting limited in terms of cakes/tortes. Googled a lot and suggested recipes to the hub, each went into the recycle bin with a shake of the head.

(Did I forget to mention quite unlike me he gets picky when it comes to desserts and can gladly skip chocolate. Me on the other hand loves anything with chocolate.)
The cake had to satisfy all the criterions… have chocolate without being too chocolaty, have some sort of nut without being pronounced, no fruits, had to be a layer cake etc etc…S-I-G-H !!





Last week while I was lying wide awake in bed at night, it hit me that I have never made Tiramisu..yet! Then the next thought was can I make a Tiramisu cake?! Told hub excitedly next morning…..he was fine with that but was a little inhibhited about that much coffee in the cake.

Now, we ‘like’ coffee but do not ‘love’ it. An occasional frappe or something is fine, and when I use coffee to give depth to my chocolate cakes is admissible, but that is it. (We don’t take tea or coffee frequently. We are flavoured-milk children.) ;p





Back to square one….thought and thought and thought when luck struck! I was rummaging through the cupboard when I noticed this unopened bottle of Amaretto staring back at me. Tan-ta-ran!! My glee knew no bounds. Headed straight to the kitchen to live the dream I had just seen with wide-open eyes.





This cake was a real delight to make, spread over three days, plus two days to let the flavours set in and mingle before D-day arrived.

Instead of the lady fingers I made a regular genoise (yes with clarified butter/ghee). The crumb/texture of the genoise was light, tender and moist. Sliced it into two. Baked another layer of chocolate sponge, only this time with a little more coffee.

Was still apprehensive about the taste as I have never tasted an Amaretto Tiramisu ever. So to atleast make the cake look appealing decided on making a chocolate rose…yet another first!

** Will add a video-tutorial later,(without the use of corn syrup). In the mean time for those of you who cannot wait here is the link from wherein I got my inspiration.





Made it right after I made the sponges and was pleased with my artistry...more so this successful rose gave me the courage to go ahead with the rest of the recipe I had decided…kinda’ good omen. (fingers crossed!)

Enjoyed making mascarpone. Luxurious and indulgent. Touched up the mascarpone ganache with some semi-sweet chocolate chips and strong brewed coffee. Decided on a plain white amaretto-infused-mascarpone icing.





A day before D-day finished the icing et al, sans the chocolate rose. Wanted to surprise the hub, by placing it at the last minute.





Cut it at midnight and can’t express the feeling of this creamy heaven in the mouth. YUM!

Hub was delighted beyond words and kept admiring the rose while spooning the relish into his mouth…before the congratulatory calls inundate ‘the moment’…..lol.
As for me, I was glad he loved it, though he didn’t say it in words…his eyes said it all.
(My man is of few words….one of the reasons I fell in love with this man-boy, and still so in love with !) *blush*





Amaretto Tiramisu Cake

Ingredients-


For the Mascarpone Frosting-
1 lt. low-fat cream (25% pasteurized)/organic cream
1 1/2 tbsp fresh lime juice

aprrox. 7 tbsp confectioners' sugar

(frosting/icing)
1 tbsp amaretto liquer, plus extra for soaking the sponges

(filling/ganache)

1/2 tsp strong brewed coffee
1/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips,melted/microwaved on high for 30 secs.


For the Plain Genoise-
3 tbsp clarified butter/ghee
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
4 large eggs
2/3 cup fine granulated vanilla sugar/plain sugar


For the Chocolate sponge-
2 eggs
1/3 cup plain flour
3 tbsp unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant coffee powder
2 tbsp butter at room temperature
1/3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp corn starch
a pinch of salt
1/3 cup fine granulated sugar

Flaked almonds for decoration





Method-

First prepare the mascarpone.

Bring about 2 inches of water to a boil in a wide skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low so the water is barely simmering.
Pour the cream into a medium heat-resistant bowl, then place the bowl into the skillet. A double boiler of sorts. Keep stirring on medium flame. About 15-20 mins of deliacte heating.
Add the lime juice and continue heating the mixture, stirring gently, until the cream curdles.
All that the whipping cream will do is become thicker, like a well-done crème anglaise. It will cover the back of your wooden spoon thickly. All you will see would be just a few clear whey streaks when you stir.
(It will not curdle the way milk curdles when you make cottage or ricotta cheeses.)

Remove the bowl from the water and let cool for about 20 minutes. Meanwhile, line a sieve with four-five layers of dampened cheesecloth and set it over a bowl. Transfer the mixture into the lined sieve. Do not squeeze the cheese in the cheesecloth or press on its surface, it will firm up on its own during the refrigeration time. Once cooled completely, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate (in the sieve) overnight or up to 24 hours.

Add the confec. sugar to this mascarpone cream and whisk by hand till combined.
Set one third of it aside.

To the remaining two-thirds, add the melted choco-chips and coffee brew. Mix together till you get a creamy texture. This is the filling.

To the one-third, add amaretto and hand-whisk till smooth. This is the outer frosting.


Next make the genoise.

Preheat the oven to 180 degress C. Line, grease and flour an 8 inch cake pan.
Sift the flour thrice.
Bring some water to a boil in a large pan/griddle & reduce to simmer. Place eggs & sugar in a large bowl, whisk constantly over the simmering water, heat the eggs to lukewarm.
Remove the bowl from the pan. With an electric mixer, beat the egg mixture at high speed until it has cooled, tripled in volume, and resembles softly whipped cream, about 5 minutes in a heavy-duty mixer or longer with a less powerful mixer.(I used elbow grease and it took me about 10 mins to get the desired result.)

Sift a third of the flour over the whipped egg mixture. Use a rubber spatula to fold in the mixture-quickly but gently-until combined. Fold in the rest of the flour too.
Then add melted ghee/clarified butter in a stream as you keep incorporating it into the batter. Add the vanilla extract at this point.

Pour the batter into the lined pan and bake at 180 degrees C for 35 minutes or so, till the edges of the cake shrink slightly and the top springs back on touch.
Cool and umould onto a wire rack.

Slice the cake into two once completely cooled or you will risk getting crumbly uneven slices. This genoise stays well if cling wrapped, for 3-4 days in the fridge or upto 2 months in the freezer.


Now for the chocolate sponge.

Seive all the dry items together three times.
Cream the butter and sugar together till pale. Add the eggs and beat well till fluffed up to double its volume.
Fold in the dry ingredients into the wet. Pour into a lined 8 inch cake pan.
Bake at 180 degrees C for 35 minutes app.
Cool on wire rack.



For the assembly----

Place one layer of the plain genoise on the cake serving platter.
Sprinkle with amaretto liquer.
Top with some of the filling. Place the chocolate sponge layer next.
Sprinkle this with amaretto liquer too.
Top with the filling. Place the final/top genoise layer.
Sprinkle with amaretto liquer.
Spread the mascarpone-amaretto frosting on top.
Spread the remaining filling on the sides of the cake.

Decorate the borders with almond shavings.
Adorn the cake with the chocolate rose and leaves.

Note: I did not use any simple syrup to soak the sponges as the Amaretto liquer is sweet. If you desire you can add sugar to the soaking syrup, for a sweeter cake.





Also, made....
Mexican Chicken Pizza



and Tandoori Paneer (Barbequed Cottage cheese) Pizza



alongwith some sun-dried tomato pesto layered garlic rolls



....for a truly wonderful brunch.
(Recipes coming-up!)

58 comments:

  1. Amazing..that rose is just so delicate n pretty..:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous cake navita! happy Anniversary!
    Loved the rose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow wow wow.. both are gorgeous. WIsh i could have some to eat right away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woow...what a variety!!!
    my hands shake thinking of Cake, u made it look so very delish..i badly wanna try out but wud love to have someone beside me to guide me thru...still shaky hands!!
    and still i wanna shake u a HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy anniversary! The cake looks amazing! That rose is just incredible, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Belated wishes.......that's an awesome...awesome...awesome and gorgeous cake......love that thin crust pizza.....that bread makes me drooooooooooooool.........

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a treat! Everything looks delicious..loved the rose..Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG!!!... Amazing... Happy Anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god, wat a gorgeous tiramisu cake.;cant take my eyes..such a lovely and delicious treat Navita...Happy anniversary dear..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary, dear Navita!!! May your years together be always filled with joy and love!

    I think, like your husband does, that you are a culinary genius! That is one gorgeous cake, and I might even attempt it...but without the rose. I don't think I can handle it in this lifetime. ;)

    Big hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. " The road to a man's heart is through his - stomach" - Navita, I think you got the right road. Wish you many many happy returns of this day :).
    PS: Great to see you back.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary!! Your creation is a masterpiece - beautiful and incredibly delicious!! The rose is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations, and what an amazing dessert! I thought maybe I would try making it, but now I'm not so sure... you are very talented! I am also wondering when I will ever get around to making Tiramisu.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...this is when the cake not more just a cake, but a piece of art. Just beautiful...the rose is so vivid and elegant. Well done!

    And thank you for stopping by my blog. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ciao ! Auguri for your beautiful marriage ! And what a cake !!! About sourdough: you can make it at home but I'll email you about it tomorrow !!! Goodnight !!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Anniversary, and that is a heck of a feast you prepared. The tiramisu is a work of art. If it tastes half as good as it looks it was stupendous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The snaps of the cake are superb...

    and thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful cake! What great flavors!

    That pizza and those rolls look extremely good too!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an absolutely gorgeous cakes...that flower is superb!! I love the flavors you've put into it. And that pizza...mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your comment on my blog- and congrats on your two year anniversary! I hope you have many many more. This is my first time over here, but your post was very cute- I love new love! I have been married for 13 years, I'm not so cute anymore! LOL! The cake looks & sounds delish!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely dessert for a lovely occasion! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy Anniversary! Your cake is just incredible!

    Your blog is lovely too! Thanks for hopping over my way today. ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your chocolate rose for the cake is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful cake with beautiful chocolate rose decoration on top. I bet it taste delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanx for visting my blog..thats an awesome cake with pretty rose...U r too good in baking,will keep visiting...

    ReplyDelete
  26. First of all congrats!
    And second what an amazing cake!!! Just beautiful!! I just love that rose!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!!! Baking wizard, baking fairy...baking queen? Whatever the name...you are incredible. The cake is gorgeous as well! Hope you had a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I believe it's my first time here..everything looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How could anyone skip chocolate?? This looks amazing, I love tiramisu anything.
    Happy anniversary to you both!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy and Sweet Anniversary!!! Oh my goodness with the Tiramisu cake, yum yum :)

    Cheers,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lovely cake! The rose is beautiful! Everything else is so yummy! Happy anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! This is impressive!! Love the chocolate rose.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Happy belated anniversary wishes Navita. The cake sounds delicious and looks stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  34. It has been way too long since I've visited your blog. Blame it on work.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Both recipes look delicious! And I love the flower on your tiramisu... it is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  36. That cakes look so divine! What a perfect way to celebrate. Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your cake looks incredible!!! It very beautiful when two people are so in love one with each other. It makes me smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh it looks so fabulous, absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations on two years with your man :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happy anniversary! I know I am late but am here with true wishes:). The cake looks exquisite!! I love the rose. Very very pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Happy anniversary and beautiful cake. On a side note I am so addicted to coffee that I am pretty sure I would have drank all of the coffee and left none for the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Awesome.. first time here and have to say your pictures and attention to detail is great.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Tandoori paneer pizza looks so delicious! I would eat the whole thing! :D haha i'm so greedy!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Awesom cake and pizza.Love the chocolate rose.So perfekkkt!!!
    Do drop by T http://anjuskitchentreasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow They looks gorgeous! New to your blog.Do drop by http://padhuskitchen.blogspot.com/ when time permits

    ReplyDelete
  45. The cake looks gorgeous...I'm literally drooling on my keyboard!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This cake is gorgeous. Did you make the chocolate rose as well?

    ReplyDelete
  47. Oh My My...... Now that's a lot of effort gone into the occasion...

    Congrats to you lovely lady and your gentleman....

    The cake looks lovely... and so full of LOVE...

    All the best of the coming years...
    Cheers,
    The Variable - Nachiketa
    Crazy Over Desserts - The Variable, Nachiketa

    ReplyDelete
  48. I love how your tiramisu cake looks! Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  49. fantastic blog dear!your tiramisu cake is stunning with the rose!
    cheers!
    www.nimisculinaryventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  50. Oh wow, definitely a lovely dish with a beautiful rose on top!

    ReplyDelete
  51. hi,
    The way u r makes me think that we are similar souls...preparing for something a month ahead and all that confusion that goes into preparing, loads of reasearching on net and boy!it takes hell lotof energy and time, doesnt it?...loved ur blog and i am sad u dont blog any more....i think good bloggers like u should stay, to entertain others and share great recipes...I feel really touched after reading you. Especially "My man is of few words, and you could read it all in his eyes!how mnay ladies out there would think of it that way...all they would moan about is how their hubbies don't appreciate when they dont talk it out. You r truly understanding an a great wife. Wish u both a wonderful married life together..
    Regards,
    shabs

    ReplyDelete
  52. What a delectable way to celebrate your anniversary! I know about wanting to demonstrate everything you feel through food:-)) Will keep dropping by!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Congrats on your special day. Thats a pretty special way to celebrate. Love the cake...YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Espectacular! esta tarta tuvo que estar riquisima pero además es muy bonita a la vista...pero sobre todo tu declaración de amor es lo mejor...felicidades por vuestro segundo aniversario....besos

    ReplyDelete
  55. hi............
    i too want to make this cake.............even my wedding anniversary is comming close.........but making everything in a single day is not good........could you please tell me how you and what you made in each day.....as you said the preparations was spread in three days....
    well belated happy anniversary

    sobha

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Sobha,
    Thanks for reading my blog and wanting to make this for your anniversary. :)

    Well, I baked the sponges first. Made the chocolate rose the same day and placed it in the fridge on a parchment sheet. (It starts sweating when you place in on the cake and serve...which is pretty as it seems all dewy. ;p)

    The next day was the mascarpone.

    And the final day (a day before the anniversary) assembled it all.

    Shoot if you have any more queries. Good luck!
    And Happy Anniversary in advance. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank You for taking out the time to put your thoughts into words. It is appreciated. Hope I am able to keep you involved, intrigued and happy with this blog. Your views are welcome.