Saturday, November 1, 2008

Steamed Spinach and Fenugreek dumplings








This post is dedicated to the one woman who would have trusted me to be good, even if the world thought I was evil; the woman who loved me so much so that the Gods would be jealous; the one who loved me unconditionally and probably even more than my own mom.........my Nani ji (maternal grandmom).


She passed away just before my marriage last year,(that will pain always as she had wished to see my 'dulha' and kiss him). My Nani believed in PDAs...public display of emotions. She always hugged everyone who visited her and would hold the person's chin and then kiss his/her forehead. The most loving lady I had ever known. I was close to all my grandparents(both sides), but nani was my partner-in-crime...my counsellor...my agony aunt...my best-est friend.
Infact everyone in the family thought (including my parents) that my death would follow hers. Alas, people grow up and grow strong...and life continues.


How I wish I could have stayed with her longer...the time just wasn't enough. I had stayed with her and helped her cook. Infact my first ever jalebi was made under her guidance. Needless to say she was a foodie and a great cook. (I guess it runs in the family, my mom is one too...hope I can continue the legacy).

Remembering her now still makes my eyes moisten. She was a Diabetic.

So this post is for all the diabetics of the world. Never give up. Be happy and lick the ice-cream (of life) before it melts ! Cheer up!!


A need to mention Sangeeth (of 'Art of Cooking Indian Food') 's Monthly event of "Eat Healthy, Fight Diabetes" is necessary. It was this event that inspired me to cook something for those who ineviatbly have a sweet tooth and more often than not are prey to 'diabetes' .
This ones' for you Sangeeth.



This dish has the best of both worlds....

It has Methi (Fenugreek leaves) that counter acts the disease. Infact Methi has been used in Indian cuisine since the Vedic age. Its only now that we are re-discovering its medicinal properties. So much so that Methi is also sold in drug stores across the United States, over the counter for lactating mothers as it helps in building more milk for the feeding child.

It also has Paalak (Spinach) which is a nutrition power house. The calcium in spinach strengthens bones, which is a must for diabetics, as the they are more prone to weak bones.

Served with sliced tomatoes which contain lycopene, one of the most powerful natural antioxidants, which, especially when tomatoes are cooked, has been found to help prevent prostrate cancer.

The fibre in this dish is attributed to the whole wheat flour and Bengal gram flour.

This dish is prepared by steaming, not deep frying, so fat free, low-sodium and healthy.



PAALK METHI NU MUTHIYA
(Steamed spinach and fenugreek dumplings )

Ingredients-
1 bunch spinach leaves, chopped
1/2 bunch fenugreek leaves, chopped (if using dried methi, use 4 tsp)
1 1/2 teaspoons green chilli-ginger paste
4 tablespoons whole wheat flour (gehun ka atta)
2 tablespoons Bengal gram flour (besan)
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1/4 teaspoon soda-bi-carb (baking soda)
3 tablespoons oil
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons chopped coriander
salt to taste


Method-
In bowl mix all the ingredients. Add a little water if required.
Tip: Take care to see that the dough should not be very runny.
Now make small balls out of the dough using your palm. Brush the steamer with a little oil to avoid sticking of dough.
Steam for 15-20 minutes.
Tip: The more water the dough absorbs the softer and spongier the dumplings will be.


Serve topped with slices of cherry tomatoes and tiny cottage cheese cubes (if desired).







2 comments:

Thank You for taking out the time to put your thoughts into words. It is appreciated. Hope I am able to keep you involved, intrigued and happy with this blog. Your views are welcome.